Interview with Rachel Reeves MP

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:57 pm

Yorkshire Chess has just published an interview with Rachel Reeves where she shares her thoughts on chess and Chess in Schools and Communities, check it out!

John McKenna

Re: Interview with Rachel Reeves MP

Post by John McKenna » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:47 pm

I had a quick look and was impessed by the presentation. Will go back later and read it all. I used to see her at Hayes Chess Club - when there for matches - a quiet but thoughtful young woman. In order to get to her present position she had to follow in the family footsteps and become a Labour Party apparat-chick. She ended up in Yorks. and did a stint in the banking industry there before going on to the Treasury/BoE, I believe. Good to see that she and others in our house of cadres have remained true to chess.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:42 pm

She never said if she thought chess should be recognized as a sport by the government and if she does believes this what action she will take to lobby government to help make this happen.The last Labour government refused to take any action to have chess recognized as a sport.

I do remember going to the House of Commons with Peter along with other chess juniors to lobby the then Labour governmen about having chess seen as a sport. The sport minster give a speech about how much he supported chess for children and spent a few minutes talking to us then he left the room.The only M.P who did appear really interested and was amazed to see so many children at the house of commons playing chess was the beast of Bolsover Mr Dennis Skinner M.P. who stayed for a long time chatting to various juniors/ parents.Dennis at the time had been ill but still come to the room after hearing that so many children where in parliament and he wanted to know why what we where doing.

Time for a nice cup of coffee with milk i check back before i eat dinner at 6.30 pm.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:58 pm

Peter D Williams wrote: ...

Time for a nice cup of coffee with milk i check back before i eat dinner at 6.30 pm.
Reading Peter's posts tends to reminds me of an episode at school when I was nine years old. We had to keep a diary and read it out to the rest of the class each Monday. Most of the other boys had this inane habit of recording what they had to eat for lunch. Generally this went unnoted until one day when we had a different teacher for some reason, and he asked the class "er, do you always give so much detail about what you had to eat?" and I let out a frustrated "ohhhh yes. Always". He looked at me, I looked at him, and we shared a moment.

Goodness knows who he was but I liked him.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:18 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:

Reading Peter's posts tends to reminds me of an episode at school when I was nine years old. We had to keep a diary and read it out to the rest of the class each Monday. Most of the other boys had this inane habit of recording what they had to eat for lunch. Generally this went unnoted until one day when we had a different teacher for some reason, and he asked the class "er, do you always give so much detail about what you had to eat?" and I let out a frustrated "ohhhh yes. Always". He looked at me, I looked at him, and we shared a moment.

:D Photos, we want photos!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/food/2010/10 ... ogra.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21235195

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:38 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:

Yes i like to write down and record what i eat and drink the coffee was rather nice. :D

Gerry Walsh ex president of ECF was at the house of parliament as well and arranged to have drinks/dinner with the sports minster. I often wonder what those two talked about :wink:
They should have asked Rachel Reeves M.P on getting chess seen as a sport and her views on this subject.
Tonight it is a a good old English fry up with black pudding and English free range sausages. :D :D

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:06 pm

Chris K>Photos, we want photos.< One would do.
(Powers that be don't like photos in the forum - it's not a picture gallery. But, I'm sure Chris meant a link to photos.)

PS Hope we don't all end up eating this kind of stuff -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:34 pm

Rachel was in my age group as a junior and we played in a number of the same tournaments - I have a couple of games against her in my old scorebooks.

This is the better of them, from almost 20 years ago:

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:47 pm

Sorry to be cynical but how did Rachel "[lobby] for the government to support the work of Chess in Schools and Communities"? The Early Day Motion linked to, which lists Rachel as a supporter, has just 37 signatures.

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:29 pm

I would consider sponsoring a Early Day Motion as lobbying the Government, whether it was successful lobbying is a matter of opinion I guess!

Matt, what was the result of your other game with her?

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:02 am

Andrew Bak wrote:I would consider sponsoring a Early Day Motion as lobbying the Government, whether it was successful lobbying is a matter of opinion I guess!
To my mind the word "lobbying" suggests the making of some effort - usually concerted effort. I don't really see evidence that much effort was made given the small number of supporting signatures attracted.

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:09 am

Andrew Bak wrote: Matt, what was the result of your other game with her?
I won the other as well (in an Under 12 tournament in 1991), but it's a poor game - Rachel made a blunder quite early on, plus I think I recorded some of the moves wrong so I couldn't play through the whole thing.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:33 am

She'd have won if you'd met in the U-16s for a third time. I enjoyed playing through the game you put up and thought it quite good for U-14s.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:12 am

Morning all :D

I see if i can upload a picture of the food. This weekend we are having slow cooked belly of pork and tonight it is Mexican Enchilada.I have a new computer with windows 8 and am still working out how to use it :wink:

I presume that Rachel Reeves M.P is not in favor of chess being seen as a sport by the Labour front bench and the government because if she was some one would have told us on here by now?
Some one should write to Rachel to clarify her exact position on this matter.
Parliamentary protocol dictates that a Member of Parliament can only deal with issues on behalf of their own constituents so it would help if some one in her area wrote to her about this matter.

Time for my 11.15 hot chocolate drink. I check back later to see what progress we have made with this issue. :D

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:01 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:This weekend we are having slow cooked belly of pork and tonight it is Mexican Enchilada.
I believe horsemeat is very popular these days. :D