Obscure, endless arguments

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alex Holowczak

Re: Obscure, endless arguments

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:08 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:For the record, I'm a long-time subscriber to CHESS and just renewed for three years! Try writing in with letters and see if they will get published! Or even write a summary of what has been discussed here and offer it for publication... :)
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:It appeared in the November 2010 issue of CHESS. Pages 48-50. You can buy single issues of CHESS for £3.95 it says on the front cover.
Christopher Kreuzer (in another thread) wrote:This subject is also covered in Malcolm Pein's editorial in the November 2010 issue of CHESS.
Christopher Kreuzer (in yet another thread) wrote:Those reading this thread who subscribe to CHESS might be interested in what Malcolm Pein has to say on the matter in his editorial in the November 2010 issue of CHESS.
Are you on commission? :wink:

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:24 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Are you on commission? :wink:
:lol: To redress the balance, I will start a thread on chess magazines in general. Maybe it will even get Carl and Jack to start a poll with 4-5 options and "other" for obscure magazines no-one has heard of.

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:18 pm

Kaissiber is the best mag by far I have ever seen (and I don't even speak German). Anyone know any free software which can scan, convert to a digital document and then translate German to English?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:23 pm

Nick Thomas wrote:Kaissiber is the best mag by far I have ever seen (and I don't even speak German). Anyone know any free software which can scan, convert to a digital document and then translate German to English?
Google docs will allow you to translate a document to another language although I haven't given it a try
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:54 pm

Thanks Carl but surely that can only translate digital documents. What do I do with a paper magazine...???

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:58 pm

Nick Thomas wrote:Thanks Carl but surely that can only translate digital documents. What do I do with a paper magazine...???
Invest in one of these instead? :wink:

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:06 pm

:| :arrow: :? :arrow: :x :arrow: :evil: :arrow: :| :arrow: :) :arrow: :D :arrow: 8)

Neville Twitchell

Post by Neville Twitchell » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:35 pm

What's wrong with endless obscure arguments? That, surely, is the function of a Forum such as this!

Perhaps we should write reviews of the various chess magazines on offer, not that there are many. It reminds me of the analogy I once heard someone draw between chess publications on the one hand and newspapers/magazines/periodicals onthe other. The BCM is The Times, New in Chess is the Financial Times, Chess is, er, The Mirror, perhaps. Kingpin is obviously Private Eye.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:42 pm

Nick Thomas wrote:Thanks Carl but surely that can only translate digital documents. What do I do with a paper magazine...???
How hard can it be?

Yes missed that one :oops:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:52 pm

It seems that the magazines don't have a very high opinion of this forum.

According to the new BCM editor, the forum is
BCM blog wrote: tiny and totally unrepresentative
http://www.stevegiddins.blogspot.com/

It is true that the piece on which he comments is one of the forum's more pedantic moments - namely the literal meaning of one of the longer Russian surnames in the top 20 players.

Are there any objective measurements of the size of a forum?

As far as representative is concerned, there's a reasonable spread of opinion on the forum from the English (and British) chess scene, rather wider probably than the views expressed in a typical magazine.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:03 pm

My experience of Forums is that they are rather poorly populated, and the quality of the contributions can be variable! Two notable exceptions are the EC Forum and moneysavingexpert.com. And let's face it, blogs can be just as variable...
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:33 pm

One can't help but feel that magazine editors would be better advised to engage with a forum in order to encourage people to subscribe rather than to take pot shots at the forum and its members. But perhaps that's just me...

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:40 pm

Ian Kingston wrote:One can't help but feel that magazine editors would be better advised to engage with a forum in order to encourage people to subscribe rather than to take pot shots at the forum and its members. But perhaps that's just me...
Completely agree.

Since I was the one who brought up the pronunciation of Mr. Nepomniachtchi's name, I'd like to say that I actually thought it was an interesting discussion and I learnt something new about a) his name and b) Russian history / census practices from it. I am grateful to everyone who contributed to the discussion, even those whose information might have turned out not to be completely correct. We can't all be right all of the time, and a forum certainly works much better when people are prepared to give their views rather than holding them back in the fear that they'll be publically ridiculed if it turns out that they were incorrect.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:44 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
John Upham wrote:Can someone post the URL of the reviewers site / blog / whatever and we can review it here?
I think it was print-publication only. Not sure. It appeared in the November 2010 issue of CHESS. Pages 48-50. You can buy single issues of CHESS for £3.95 it says on the front cover.
I'm still waiting for my free copy for writing an article on the Olympiad :oops:

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:43 pm

Must be a slow news day in the world of chess.