4NCL Pride and Prejudice

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Roger de Coverly

4NCL Pride and Prejudice

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:07 am

I recall that when this team first entered the league, it was announced that the ECF was making a financial contribution to its expenses. Is this still the case?

Ben Purton

Re: 4NCL Pride and Prejudice

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:20 pm

Well thats why I brought up the ECF thing in the other forum, I dont put myself across to well as everyone makes out. But then again everyone knows who sponsors who. My Sponsor use to be Nick Payne, it was never not known. I also recieved some help from Nigel Johnson and of course player contributions. THis year I had some help with entry from Rupert Willis but this is minimal comparative to previous years.

If you dont recieve any sponsorship from ECF or Chess charities, then Ill shut up and sorry for bringing it up and mentioning the ECF.

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Claire Summerscale

Post by Claire Summerscale » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:41 pm

The male and foreign players receive no money from the ecf and never have.

No money is received from Chess Charities.

I had an outside sponsor for divisions 3 and 2, I organise and run junior events to support the team, but the majority of fees come from my own pocket.

Because I have been so careful with the fixed amount set aside by the ecf in 2005; for example, putting most of the team up in my house if the venue is close enough and making money through the Pride & Prejudice coaching and tournament days, which use P&P players as coaches, there is still some ecf money left over, which will be used at the next P&P coaching event to be held early 2009 and for appropriate fees.

Pride & Prejudice intended to start with a "token" male player in division 4 (5-1), 2 male players in division 3 (6-2), 3 male players in division 2 (5-3) and finally equalise the numbers in division 1. It was not our intention to say that women were better than men, just that they could compete on a level playing-field.

Unfortunately, this season a key female player changed her mind about playing at the last minute and couple of others left for other teams. I decided to refocus the team and give division 1 opportunities to some of our talented young players; including Callum, Yang-Fan and Elliott for which I make no apology. They are excellent additions to the team.

Claire

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:11 pm

Claire this is fair enough then, it was a simple question, it wasnt meant to be rude, most people simply didnt know and when they know something from intial stage, they assume the same. Many people assumed Nigel Johnson sponsored us when we came 3rd and nearly won the league, but it was Nick Payne mainly.

Why dont you change to a youth name was all I asked, I asked it very blunt I guess, but for example my team Slough Sharks, we started with close links to the Slough team, then alot of those players left(so I understand the leaving issue) until the only player who has ever played for Slough or had affliation for Slough was myself. So much so I named use Sambuca because we are known as one of the "drinking" chess teams.

Therefore Slough is misplaced similiar to I guess the Prejudice ideals of a women team. Women do get a bad deal in chess so they were good. I would never say that Elliot whos my friend doesnt deserve to play division one chess. I was just saying that perhaps the teams objectives should be shown by a name change.

As for the womens coaches, Yes I do know Harriet has alot of commitments and Jovanka playing commitments. But I think there are alot of women who could coach the majority of the girls. We have 2-3 who are 1900 and improving standard. So maybe a 1900+ Women couldnt coach them. But the youngsters who are Under 1600 could be coached by a women of even 150 ECF standard. I didnt criticise the coaching methods. I in fact said you were doing a good job if you re-read it. I just said I think thats a idea which should be implemented and is done so by a large amount of countries.

When I discussed the other issue of olympiad players, I do think Sarah & Chantal are the Best chances to break above 2200 in England. That might not be a shared view(as Im of course bias), but its one that over the last 6 months(Chantal mainly in Worlds this week) is supported by results. I think that equality in coaching should occur and like Yang-fan and Feliks, the younger women hopes should be coached by titled players.

If we look at womens chess, it looks bleak. The last 5 years we had Jessie,Sarah,Chantal,Terresa,Sabrina. All playing to around 170. I dont know where the next possible olympiad player is coming from, it doesnt seem to have that level anymore. So thats why I think the ones who could go from 1900-->2200 FIDE with some coaching should be looked at.

Kind regards

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Claire Summerscale

Post by Claire Summerscale » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:00 pm

Thank you, appreciated.
Claire