Fixtures

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Ben Purton

Fixtures

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:04 pm

Any idea when they come out?

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Jonathan Rogers

Re: Fixtures

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:13 pm

I don't know either Ben, but I note that until today (when Richmond seem to have announced their withdrawal) it was still unclear who all the participants in the second division actually were. And they could hardly do the pairings on the basis that Richmond would play as number two seeds, and later substitute FCA Solutions (now rescued from the third division) in their place.

But now, they can and in my view should do the pairings for the first and second division. They would have to do the seedings on the basis of last year's positions, since so many teams - including yours, Ben! - have still not submitted their registration sheets for the coming season. Even so, I think they should go ahead and do that. Apart from anything else, registration sheets do not always provide a reliable indication of the strength of the teams which will actually play, so it is not worth another two or more weeks of delay to wait for them.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:45 am

Jonathan I was informed that my list did not have to be in until the end of this month. If 4NCL ask me today "need your list by 2pm" , they would have it.

Kind regards
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:57 am

Ben Purton wrote:Jonathan I was informed that my list did not have to be in until the end of this month.

Kind regards
It looks as if you've answered your own question. Presuming they will attempt to seed using the named squad, you won't see any fixtures until next month.

It's a different issue, but wouldn't it be just as sensible to allocate teams to the eight team preliminary groups on some formula based on last year's finishing positions? That way you could announce the fixtures as soon as you knew that everyone was entering. Last year all the promoted teams from division 2 came from the same preliminary group - which indicates that the seeding method didn't really work.

As it stands, the first round is 24/25th October but you won't know who you are playing until 1st October or later. That's going to be a bit late for any team manager who would vary the team according to the opposition.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:25 am

Totally Roger

Say Im playing 2 teams which are 95% sure to have sub 2000 women , compared to a team with 2100 women , this makes a big difference in which women I select/ Which men I select also.

Draw Machines
Bunny Beaters

Etc etc etc

Frankly I want to know our opposition, No excuses, everyone knows whats what with seedings

Ben

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:01 pm

We're all agreed then. That's exactly what I meant when I said "They would have to do the seedings on the basis of last year's positions ... Even so, I think they should go ahead and do that."

Yes, I know that they have given captains until the end of this month to complete registration lists. I seem to recall that the original deadline had been the end of August, but perhaps I am wrong. It does worry me that captains seem to be getting worse and worse at paying fees and submitting registration lists. There is no good reason why everyone could not have got their act together by the end of August.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:05 pm

So they're up now, Ben. And you can guess whom you're playing in the second round 8)